Staff Data Engineer [REMOTE]
At Jungle Scout, we are on a mission to empower entrepreneurs and brands to grow successful e-commerce businesses, and we provide the industry-leading data, powerful tools, and resources they need.
Engineering teams at Jungle Scout are constantly innovating to scale and improve how we provide actionable insights to our customers.
The Data Team is core to all of our products! Our Cobalt, Downstream and Orange products are on a tremendous growth trajectory, so you’ll be laser-focused on building horizontally scalable data systems that can process, aggregate, store, and serve data at 10X our current data volumes. You’ll also be focused on enabling and amplifying the work of other engineering teams by establishing systems, practices, and patterns that help us deliver high-quality data products to customers. The team focuses on improving internal engineering efficiencies, so our roadmap is often driven through self-directed exploration from engineers.
We’re looking for a new team member that’s passionate about scalable, highly available, complex, and cloud-native data systems. We expect engineers on the team to own the entire system lifecycle, including requirements, architecture/design, implementation, testing, and launch. We’re looking for engineers that identify with Jungle Scout’s “test and iterate” culture, which is focused on driving innovation and learning through building.
What You’ll Do:
- Build, scale, and support data systems that power our SaaS products that provide actionable data insights to brands of all sizes.
- Collaborate with team members and other product/engineering teams to define new data interfaces and architectures and execute incrementally towards a target state.
- Work across the engineering organization to identify and execute on opportunities to improve the data flow across systems.
- Serve as a thought leader for other team members regarding system design, data management, and data modeling.
- Identify opportunities to simplify and improve our data systems so we can efficiently scale our operations as we grow.
- Understand and solve business requirements at scale with high-quality software solutions.
- Engage directly with end engineering users to understand their needs and improve their experience with our data systems.
Who You Are:
- Expert in at least one object-oriented language like Java, Python, or Scala. You pride yourself on writing clean, well-tested, maintainable code.
- Comfortable with complex SQL.
- Hands-on experience with cloud computing platforms like AWS, Azure, or GCP.
- History of shipping impactful distributed data pipelines for both batch and/or real-time processing.
- Track record of technical leadership across multiple teams, setting technical and cultural standards for engineers.
- Passionate about data quality and delivering data that impacts the business.
- Product mindset to understand business needs and develop scalable engineering solutions.
- Experience with discovering and addressing performance issues across the whole stack, from applications to operating systems.
- Passion for exploring new technologies and ability to learn quickly on the job.
- Ability to thrive with ambiguity. Fuzzy requirements are more common for you than clearly defined expectations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience deploying and monitoring machine learning models.
- Experience building intuitive data models that abstract complex data relationships and business logic.
- Experience running Spark workloads on AWS.
- Expert on AWS and experience working in a DevOps environment, where automating infrastructure with code is second hand.
We’re a remote-first company and looking to hire this person anywhere between the PST - EST timezone.
About Jungle Scout
Jungle Scout is the leading all-in-one platform for selling on Amazon, supporting more than $8 billion in annual Amazon revenue. Founded in 2015 as the first Amazon product research tool, Jungle Scout today features a full suite of best-in-class business management solutions and powerful market intelligence resources to help entrepreneurs and brands manage their e-commerce businesses. Jungle Scout is headquartered in Austin, Texas and supports 10 global Amazon marketplaces.
The Jungle Scout team is a group of smart, motivated, and fun-loving professionals working hard to help our customers achieve success. We have a remote-first culture with employees across the world as well as in our hub offices in Austin, TX; Vancouver, BC; and Shenzhen, China. We believe team members should have the opportunity to choose the work environment that works best for them, so we give our team members the option of working from home, at one of our hub offices, or from a co-working space.
We offer workplace flexibility, competitive compensation packages, 401K/RRSP matching, generous vacation, and professional development to help you thrive in your career. The entire Jungle Scout team also gathers for annual all-expenses-paid retreats — past locations have included Bali, Bangkok, Vietnam, Budapest, Mexico, Colombia, and Costa Rica. Check us out!
We prioritize Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
At Jungle Scout, we hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger.
Jungle Scout is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
All offers of employment at Jungle Scout are contingent upon clear results of a comprehensive background check. Background checks will be conducted on all final candidates prior to start date.