As soon as Americans recovered from their Thanksgiving-turkey-induced comas, they were in stores and online buying gadgets, toys, and doo-dads on Black Friday. The frenzy continued through the weekend, culminating in additional sales on Cyber Monday.
Adobe Analytics forecasts that sales were up a full 20% for e-commerce retailers this year on Black Friday, landing somewhere in the ballpark of $9.4 billion (Forbes).
While there are no hard numbers yet, among the biggest winners this year was undoubtedly big, orange Amazon.
So what were people buying on Amazon on during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend? Tuesday morning, December 3, we dug into Amazon’s Best Sellers data to find out.
In this article, we analyze the biggest products of Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2019, spot the trends likely to continue throughout the holiday season, and take a look back to compare with which gifts were trending last year.
Here’s what we found:
#10 – Hasbro board game dominance
The first big “what the—?” moment I had while checking out Amazon’s top selling toys this year was the sheer dominance of Hasbro’s board games.
Of the Top 50 Toys & Games that sold this weekend, 17 were Hasbro board games.
In fact, the 40-year-old classic, Guess Who? led the pack as the second best selling Toy & Game on Amazon. It beat Frozen 2 merchandise, Legos, Star Wars toys, and even last year’s favorite, L.O.L dolls.
Top 10 Sellers in Amazon’s Toys & Games*
- Nerf N Strike Elite Strongarm Toy Blaster
- Guess Who? Board Game by Hasbro
- Play-Doh Modeling Compound (24-Pack)
- Jenga Wooden Blocks Game by Hasbro (Kids Version)
- LEGO Mr. and Mrs. Claus Set
- Yahtzee by Hasbro
- Candy Land Board Game by Hasbro
- Jenga Classic Game by Hasbro
- L.O.L. Surprise Glitter Globe
- Beyblade Burst Evolution Battle Game
#9 – Amazon electronics stay strong
Last year, Amazon ruled the roost with its electronics. We reported that the first 22 entries on the Electronics list were all Amazon gadgets.This year the numbers are even crazier.
Out of the Top 50 Best Selling Electronics on Amazon, 36 are made by Amazon. Those products include Echoes, Firesticks, Kindles and other smart devices.
Top 10 Sellers in Amazon’s Electronics
- Amazon Echo Dot (3rd Gen), Charcoal
- Fire TV Stick by Amazon
- Fire TV Stick 4k by Amazon
- Amazon Echo Show 5
- Amazon Echo Dot (3rd Gen), Sandstone
- Amazon Echo Dot (3rd Gen), Heather Gray
- Amazon Fire 7 Tablet, Black
- Amazon Echo Dot (3rd Gen), Plum
- Ring Video Doorbell
- Ring Video Doorball 2 (with Amazon Echo Show)
#8 – Everyone’s wearing Carhartt beanies
Every year as the leaves start to fall and the weather gets chilly, men and women across the U.S. turn to Amazon for head-warmth solutions.
And who wins their dollars? Carhartt!
The Cahartt acrylic men’s hat is currently ranked 4th on Amazon. And if last year’s best-seller ranking charts are any indication, it’ll remain in the Top 10 best selling clothing products on Amazon through March of 2020.
What attributes to this $15 beanie’s success? My guess would be it’s incredible overall rating. With over 9,000 ratings on Amazon, the Carhartt beanie maintains an average 4.6 out of 5 stars, giving it 5 solid stars.
Top 10 Sellers in Amazon’s Clothing, Shoes, & Jewelry
- Champion’s Men Fleece Pullover
- Carter’s Baby and Toddler Girls’ 3-Pack Fleece Footed Pajamas
- RockDove 2-Tone Memory Foam Slippers
- Carhartt Men’s Beanie
- Carter’s Baby and Toddler Boys’ 3-Pack Fleece Footed Pajamas
- Crocs Men’s and Women’s Baya Clog
- Champion Men’s Fleece Joggers
- Carter’s Baby Girls’ 2-Pack Fleece Footed Sleep and Play
- Women’s Vintage Socks 5-Pack
- Hanes Men’s Fleece Pullover
#7 – Crockpots are still hot, but not as hot as they were in 2018
Last year, we reported that five out of the eight Best Selling Kitchen & Dining items were crockpot slow-cookers.
This time, only three made it to the Top 8.
Certainly, those that have remained in the Top 50 Best Selling Kitchen & Dining products are selling well. However, the interest seems to wane.
So what other Kitchen & Dining products are Americans buying?
Quality blankets and sheet sets show up a few times on the bestseller list. Also, robot vacuums are still popular, with five models on the list. iRobot’s Roomba 675 is at the top of the pack, sitting in 4th place overall.
Top 10 Sellers in Amazon’s Home & Kitchen
- Instant Pot Duo 80 7-in-1 Pressure Cooker
- Instant Pot 7-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker
- AmazonBasics MicroFiber Sheet Set
- iRobot Roomba 675
- YnM Weighted Blanket for People
- Instant Pot Duo Qt 9-in-1 Pressure Cooker
- Mellani Bed Sheet Set
- THE COMFY Original Blanket Sweatshirt
- ThermoPro Meat Thermometer
- Bedsure Satin Pillowcases Set of 2
#6 – Kids are reading a lot
My son is 7 and he loves to read, so I wasn’t surprised when I discovered that Dav Pilkey and Jeff Kinney’s new releases, “Dog-Man” and “Diary of a Wimpy Kid,” respectively, took two of the three top honors in Best Selling Books.
In addition to these two fart-joke-filled pre-teen books, a book of riddles took the 4th spot, “I Am Confident Brave and Beautiful” by Hopscotch Girls was in 5th place, and the perennial classic, “Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire” was 6th.
Sorry, folks, no edgy cookbooks this year.
Top 10 Sellers in Amazon’s Books
- “Blue Zones Kitchen” by Dan Buettner
- “Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Wrecking Ball” by Jeff Kinney
- “Dog Man: Fetch-22” by Dav Pilkey
- “Difficult Riddles for Smart Kids” by B. Prefontaine
- “I Am Confident, Brave, and Beautiful” by Hopscotch Girls
- “Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire” by JK Rowling
- “Where the Crawdads Sing” by Delia Owen
- “National Geographic First Big Kids Book of Why“
- “Peek-a-Who” by Nina Laden
- “Instant Pot Cookbook” by Jennifer Smith
#5 – So, who’s looking for gold?
Not one. Not two. Not even three, but four metal detectors made it onto Amazon’s Best Selling Patio, Lawn & Garden product lists this year. In effect, the Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector is currently outselling Christmas lights on Amazon.
While metal detectors fare well during the holidays, it’s unusual to see them placed so high. This time they’re in 3rd place, with an estimated 400 units in sales on Cyber Monday.
Top 10 Sellers in Patio, Home, & Garden
- DigitalPro Meat Thermometer
- AeroGarden Harvest Elite
- Bounty Hunter TKIV Metal Detector
- Pretex 100-count Christmas Lights
- Cave Tools Meat Shredders
- Snow Joe Snow Shovel
- Sanniu LED String Lights
- Bounty Hunter Junior Metal Detector
- LOENDE LED Christmas Lights
- MAGOTAN Christmas Lights
#4 – Let’s go kayaking
Years ago, before everyone got as familiar with Amazon as they are today, I would joke, “You can buy anything you want on Amazon. Even a kayak!” And that wasn’t hyperbole.
You could and still can legitimately buy a kayak on Amazon. And it would appear that a lot of people are doing just that.
On the list for Best Selling Sports & Outdoors products, the green Intex Challenger K2 Kayak ranked 7th overall, and the yellow ranked 9th. This is a massive spike considering that this product’s best seller ranking normally hovers around the 3,000 to 4,000 range, resulting in a respectable 7,100 sales per month. Still, that’s a far cry from the 1,100+ sales it saw each day of BF/CM weekend.
See you guys on the white water trail this weekend.
Top 10 Sellers in Amazon’s Sports & Outdoors
- Adidas Diablo Duffel Bag
- YETI 20 oz Rambler
- Hydro Flask Wide Mouth 40 oz Water Bottle
- YETI Rambler 14 oz Stainless Steel Coffee Mug
- Razor A Kick Scooter
- Lock Laces Elastic No Tie Shoe Laces
- Intex Challenger K2 Kayak, Green
- Fit Simplify Resistance Bands
- Intex Challenger K2 Kayak, Yellow
- Spaulding NBA Street Basketball
#3 – Smart pets
Got a doggo? I have two! Love ‘em. So what’s the top gift for dog-lovers this year? Apparently, an Alexa-enabled device that takes pictures of your dog, records it, and throws treats at it.
Even dogs are getting in on Smart products (my in-laws could learn a thing or two from them)! As the images on the listing suggests, you can even ask Alexa to toss your dog a treat. It’s the best selling Pet Supplies product on Amazon this year. Just behind it is a DNA test for your dog.
Sorry, cats. Your stuff doesn’t show up until the third place. #dogsrulecatsdrool #exceptdogsactuallydrool
Top 10 Sellers in Amazon’s Pet Supplies
- Furbo Dog Camera
- Wisdom Panel 3.0 Dog DNA Test
- Petstages Cat Tracks Cat Toy
- Dr. Elsey’s Premium Clumping Cat Litter
- ZippyPaws Squeaking Dog Toys
- Temptations Crunchy Cat Treats
- Greenies Dog Dental Dog Treats
- Serestos Flea & Tick Collars for Dogs
- Milk-Bone Maro Snacks Dog Treats
- BOSHEL Dog Nail Clippers
#2 – Nintendo and Sony dominate video games (sorry, Microsoft)
In the Best Selling Video Games category, Nintendo has 14 of the top 50 listings, Sony Playstation has 13, and Microsoft slides in with seven.
However, Playstation actually gets the two top spots, with their gift cards landing at #1 and #2.
Poor Microsoft doesn’t appear until entry #9 with their version of Call of Duty Modern Warfare. To add insult to injury, Playstation’s version of Call of Duty Modern Warfare is four spots higher on the list.
Top 10 Sellers in Amazon’s Video Games
- PlayStation Plus 12 Month Membership
- PlayStation Store Gift Card
- Pokemon Sword
- Luigi’s Mansion 3
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (PlayStation)
- NBA 2k20 (PlayStation)
- Pokemon Shield
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Xbox)
- NBA 2k20 (Xbox)
#1 – The end of an era for Cards Against Humanity?
With Hasbro grabbing all the prime real estate in the Toys & Games category, where does perennial favorite Cards Against Humanity — a Top 5 Best Seller in the category for nearly a decade — appear on the list? All the way down at 54th.
Of course, 54th place in Toys & Games is nothing to scoff at. It’s still thousands of monthly sales on Amazon. But, that’s a big fall from the tens of thousands of units it sold on Amazon years prior.
* These Amazon Best Seller lists were compiled on December 3, 2019, at 2pm CST.
** Just to let you know, Jungle Scout may receive a commission, fee, and/or compensation if you make a purchase via the links in this post.