It is no secret that more and more customers are shopping online for anything and everything. Selling products online and on Amazon is not just for big businesses — it’s achievable for anyone! But how do you get started?
Whether you watch free videos on YouTube or invest in a structured online ecommerce course, it is important to have some kind of seller education before selling products on Amazon. There is a lot to learn.
In this article, we’re going to go over the following:
- What is Amazon FBA and is it worth learning?
- Why you should invest in an Amazon FBA course
- What to look for in an Amazon FBA course
- Amazon courses that we recommend
- The best tools for selling on Amazon
- Continuing education on Amazon FBA
What is Amazon FBA and is it worth learning?
Amazon FBA stands for Fulfillment by Amazon and is a service that takes care of inventory storage, order fulfillment, returns, and customer service for Amazon third-party sellers. Amazon handles all of the logistics for you so you can focus on other aspects of your business!
Years ago, this type of service would have never been possible and it was much harder for entrepreneurs to start their own online businesses. With Amazon’s FBA program, sellers small and large can take advantage of Amazon’s supply chain and built-in advertising platform to run a successful ecommerce business from their own home.
While ecommerce and selling on Amazon have become more and more popular over the years, it is definitely still worth learning about if you are looking for a way to make money online.
To give you a better understanding here’s just some of what would be useful to learn when starting an Amazon FBA business:
- How to conduct proper product research
- Contacting international suppliers
- Shipping inventory from overseas to an Amazon fulfillment center
- Creating an optimized product listing
- Running a profitable PPC ad campaign
I won’t lie, starting an ecommerce business is not easy. But Amazon FBA makes it much simpler for sellers to launch a unique product, advertise, and fulfill customer orders — without prior business experience.
Compared to launching your own ecommerce store with a platform such as Shopify, selling on Amazon is more beginner-friendly as you can tap into Amazon’s built-in loyal customer base.
Why you should invest in an Amazon FBA course
For every other job in the world, you would have to go through some kind of training before you can start working. Why should selling on Amazon be any different?
Can you learn everything you need to know on your own? Absolutely. There are tons of free resources available on the internet that will help you start and grow your business on Amazon. For instance, the Jungle Scout blog and Jungle Scout YouTube channel are teeming with rich, high-quality, educational content geared towards beginners and advanced sellers.
For some people, the free resources found on the internet will be all they need to start an Amazon business. While for others, it is hard to stay on track and take action when there isn’t some kind of investment involved with their education. Everyone learns differently.
Invest in an Amazon FBA course if you would like to learn the foundations of selling on Amazon and cover all your bases. Good Amazon courses are structured in a step-by-step process and will teach you about everything you need to know from product research techniques and sourcing products to advertising and scaling your business. They should also cover best practices and common seller mistakes to avoid.
Taking an FBA course can potentially save you from making a costly mistake, like investing in a saturated and competitive niche, or overstocking inventory.
Learning from experts in the industry will eliminate the learning curve, tell you exactly where to start, and how to navigate each step, so your chances of success are high.
What to look for in an Amazon FBA course
There are many FBA courses out there, and they come in all shapes and sizes. How do you make sure you choose the right one? Many can be very costly ($2,000 – $5,000) so be sure the courses you’ve got your eye on can provide enough value to justify the hefty price tag. Here’s a checklist to help you when looking for a course to take:
- Up to date information: Make sure the course you invest in includes recent information about selling on Amazon. What worked four years ago, may not work today. Some course creators will build a course and resell the same one for years without updating the information.
- Take a course from someone you trust: Anyone can create a course on Amazon. Take a course from someone that is an actual Amazon seller — this is a case where your coach should be a player, too. Do some research on the course and the creator to make sure they’re legitimate. Check out their content and see if they’re active in seller communities.
- A reasonable price: We know that most new sellers are working with a limited budget so you don’t want to spend most or all of your money on a course. A reasonably priced program that brings excellent value will typically be priced somewhere around $1,000. If you find the right one and apply what you learn, it will be worth it. If you come across a course that is very cheap ($100 to $300), it may not be as in-depth as other courses available. Do your research and determine each course’s potential value.
- Live classes: Many courses offer weekly live webinars where you can ask questions and learn new ideas. This also shows me that the course creator stays up to date with Amazon’s rules and seller strategies, and they are knowledgeable enough to confidently have discussions with sellers.
- Active seller community: Many courses include access to their exclusive Facebook groups of Amazon sellers where you can ask questions and engage in conversations. This is a powerful resource for you, and good social proof for a course creator. These groups can be a great place to both learn and network.
Amazon courses that we recommend
What’s the best Amazon FBA course? That depends on the business model that you want to follow. There isn’t just one way of selling products on Amazon. You can create your own branded products following the private label method, buy branded products in bulk with the wholesale model, or resell items from retail stores with retail arbitrage.
While 67% of Amazon sellers choose the private label business model, wholesale and arbitrage are still exceptional ways to make money on Amazon.
Freedom Builder Bootcamp
Freedom Builder Bootcamp is Jungle Scout’s course coached by Jungle Scout’s CEO and 8-figure Amazon seller, Greg Mercer. It features 10 detailed modules, equating to over 30 hours of video content, from getting started to advanced seller strategies.
What’s included with Freedom Builder Bootcamp:
- A detail-oriented, end-to-end lesson plan with 10 modules plus bonus modules
- A one-year subscription to Jungle Scout Professional
- Weekly live video coaching sessions
- VIP customer support
- Priority onboarding
- An Amazon seller action plan
- A Product Trends eBook
- Amazon listing feedback
- Exclusive FBB community access
- Advanced training bonus videos
- Greg’s personal tips and tricks that he uses in his business
- Access to all previously recorded live coaching sessions
- Access to JungleCon recordings
- Frequently updated content with fresh information
- Lifetime access to the course
Jungle Scout Academy
The Jungle Scout Academy is another comprehensive training program designed for you to follow at your own pace. Academy’s on-demand content breaks down the basics with bite-sized tutorials. Note: You can only access Academy if you have a Jungle Scout subscription. The videos teach the fundamentals and are shorter compared to those on Freedom Builder Bootcamp.
What’s included with Academy:
- On-demand videos of each step you need to take to start selling on Amazon
- Over 130 videos presented by Greg Mercer and other Amazon experts
- Tool tutorials to learn how to use Jungle Scout to your advantage
- Recorded live training sessions hosted by Amazon experts
- Webinars and seller stories
- Training in German and Chinese
Cost: Included with all Jungle Scout subscription plans
EcomFreedom is a course created by ecommerce entrepreneur and YouTuber Dan Vas. It is a complete step-by-step training program that aims to give you everything you need to create a long-term brand on Amazon.
What’s included with EcomFreedom:
- Unlimited mentorship from actual eCommerce millionaires
- Over 100+ hours of training videos
- Step-by-step PDFs with each course video
- A complete action plan
- Weekly calls with million-dollar Amazon seller Scott Suggs
- Bi-weekly calls with Dan Vas
- Lifetime access to the private Facebook course community
Cost: $800 with a 7-day free trial
The AMZ Formula
The AMZ Formula is a comprehensive Amazon FBA course created by entrepreneur, author, and speaker Joshua Crisp. Step by step, he shows you his formula to help you run a successful Amazon FBA business with just one product.
What’s included with The AMZ Formula:
- Over 70 training videos
- Access to the exclusive AMZ Formula Facebook group
- The AMZ Formula chat room
- Access to over 16 cheat sheets and templates
- Lifetime access and free yearly updates
The Wholesale Formula
The Wholesale Formula is a comprehensive course focused on the wholesale business model on Amazon. This means you will open wholesale accounts with brands and resell their products on Amazon. They’ll teach you how to identify opportunities, connect with brand owners, and profit from wholesale products. Note: They only offer this course once a year; sign up for the waitlist, and you’ll be notified once it becomes available again.
What’s included with The Wholesale Formula:
- 6 training modules consisting of over 90 in-depth videos
- Exclusive access to the TWF Alumni Facebook group
- Access to bonus content and courses about hiring virtual assistants
- Tons of cheat sheets and templates to help you contact brands
- Webinar replays
- Live coaching calls
- Lifetime access
Proven Amazon Course
The Proven Amazon Course was created by internet marketer and Amazon selling expert, Jim Cockrum and his team to provide quality Amazon education courses at a low monthly cost. Included with your enrollment is the RA Replenish Course (along with a few other courses.) The RA course teaches you how to start and scale a retail arbitrage business with replenishable items you can find from stores in your area.
What’s included with the Proven Amazon Course:
- Access to multiple courses about private label, wholesale, and retail arbitrage
- Access to a private Facebook community
- Comprehensive training programs taught by Amazon experts
- Real-life examples of seller success stories
- Lifetime access option payment of $499
The best tools for selling on Amazon
To be successful in selling on Amazon in 2022, you also need to have the right tools to help you find the right product and scale your business even further. Jungle Scout has a suite of tools with everything you need to start and grow your Amazon venture.
When first starting out, you want to put much of your focus into product research. This is one of the most important stages of your business. If you do this uninformed, it could cost you hundreds or even thousands of dollars.
Learning how to sell on Amazon can be overwhelming, let alone learning how to use different software tools. As I mentioned above, any Jungle Scout subscription includes Academy and has tutorial videos so you can learn how to use each one of Jungle Scout’s tools.
Continuing education on Amazon FBA
Courses and Amazon selling software are great foundations to have. But the ecommerce landscape on Amazon is constantly changing by the day, so you will need to stay on top of big shifts, new trends, terms of service updates, strategies, and new competition.
Continuing your education in any business is vital to your success and that is no different with selling on Amazon! There are many ways you can continue your Amazon education even years after you’ve taken a course.
As mentioned above, when looking for a course to invest in, look to see if they make regular updates to their content. A program from three years ago may not apply to Amazon anymore. It’s important to know that the course creator is on top of changes in real-time. Here’s how you can keep learning:
- Stay abreast of updates made to the course you’ve taken or programs you have an active subscription to. Take advantage of what you’ve paid for!
- Actively participate in Amazon seller communities on Facebook or other social media available to you. Many course creators have their own private Facebook groups where you can ask other sellers for advice and questions — one of the best ways to learn.
- Join the Jungle Scout’s Amazon FBA Competitive Edge Facebook group and benefit from knowledge sharing with other sellers using the same tools.
- Read blogs related to selling on Amazon. The Jungle Scout blog is active with new content posted multiple times per week and experts who can answer your questions in the comments.
- Sign up for Jungle Scout webinars and Tool Tip Tuesdays to learn more about selling on Amazon and how to use our tools.
Are you ready to learn about selling on Amazon?
Finding the right course about selling on Amazon can be intimidating (especially after seeing the price tag on some). We hope this guide will help you figure out the best FBA course for you.
If you are working with a limited budget, you don’t have to invest in a course just yet. Use the free resources listed in this guide to learn everything you can about how to sell on Amazon. Use a variety of resources available to you and over time, you’ll be able to gauge which courses are right for you when you’re ready.
If you have any more questions about Amazon FBA courses or about selling on Amazon, let us know in the comments!